Be the change you want to see…

November23

How do you take action?

I found this quote today – It’s the action, not the fruit of the action, that’s important. It may not be in your power, it may not be in your time, that there’ll be any fruit. But that doesn’t mean you stop doing the right thing. You may never know what results come from your action. But if you do nothing, there will be no result.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi

This is so true of the effect we have on children, as parents, as educators, as adults.

I have had past students approach me, years after having taught them, to tell me about some way that I impacted their lives. The truly shocking part is that often I don’t even remember the thing they are talking about. It may have been an encouraging word, some extra time one on one, a smile or some small kindness that changed their day. It’s humbling. However, the flip side to that is a little darker. How many times did an incidental action have a negative impact? Did I have a cranky day and was I abrupt with a student? Did I make a sarcastic comment that hurt them? Was I unkind to an already vulnerable child? It would be arrogant to think otherwise. If I can have no clue of the powerful positive impact I have had, you can be sure I am equally unaware of negative impacts as well.

Having said that, I’m more mindful, purposeful, and careful with how I handle people and interactions. That comes with experience and awareness. I still mess up, everyday, but that doesn’t stop me from trying my best to do the right thing at the right time for the right reasons.

I have a great passion for education. I see the way things have always been and the way things currently are – but I also see how things could be. I believe it’s the action that’s important. I don’t know if I will ever see the fruit of my action, but that’s not what motivates me. What motivates me is the idea that without my efforts, guaranteed there will be no change. I will make an effort, I will take action when it comes to kids and parents and learning. I want things to be better, not because it’s not ok already, but because I am not here to maintain the status quo.

What are you passionate about? How do you take action? What difference will you make – whether you know it or not?

Be the change you want to see in the world (Gandhi again)… because being the change is rewarding enough.

Stacy

by posted under Uncategorized | No Comments »    

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Skip to toolbar